Ole Friis, Jens Holmgren, Jacob Eskildsen about Sustainable strategy models at the PMA 2014 Conference
Another presentation brought by the 2nd day of the PMA 2014 Conference approached one of the topics that most participants and speakers showed interest in – “A sustainable strategy model” and was offered by Assistant Professor Ole Friis, Assistant Professor Jens Holmgren and Professor Jacob Eskildsen, from the Aarhus University in Denmark.
The starting point for their research study is represented by the assumption that strategy is complex and organizations nowadays face many challenges both in formulating strategic plans and executing them. The final outcome of their study is creating a sustainable strategy model that would explain what organizations need to focus on in their work.
Friis, Holmgren and Eskildsen presented two main sides of strategic research:
1. The content of the strategy, which comprises three areas:
- Productivity: focusing the energy and resources on continuous improvement;
- Flexibility: focusing on customer preferences;
- Innovation: influencing the value creation process through numerous measures.
2. The strategy process, with two areas:
- Execution: discussing growth possibilities and the achievement of the strategic goals;
- Performance culture: nurturing commitment and engagement to achieving the strategic results.
The researchers consider these sides are interconnected, as the strategy content strongly depends on the strategy process and vice versa.