Top 5 Social Media Networks in 2011
A new report on social media from Nielsen reveals that Facebook dominates the Top 5 Social Media Networks among U.S. users.
The most popular 5 Social Media Networks in 2011 are:
- Facebook – with 140,33 million unique visitors from the United States. in May 2011 and with more than 750 million active users worldwide, Facebook is the number one by the number of users, this is also one of the reasons for being number one seller of display advertising in the US according to eMarketer’s research.
- Blogger – with 50,055 million unique visitors from the United States in May 2011 is the second social media platform in the United States. Blogger is a blog-publishing service that allows private or multi-user blogs with time-stamped entries. The blogs are hosted by Google at subdomain of blogspot.com.
- Twitter – with 23,61 million unique visitors from the United States in May 2011. If in 2007 the tweets average was 5.000 per day, in 2011 users on Twitter are now averaging 200 million Tweets per day with a total of 106 million users. Of Twitter’s active users, 37% use their phone to tweet, and in March 2011, 460,000 new accounts were created on average each day.
- WordPress– with 22,41 million unique visitors from the United States in May 2011. WordPress started in 2003 and since then it has grown to be the largest self-hosted blogging tool in the world, used on millions of sites and seen by tens of millions of people every day.
- MySpace – with 19,25 million unique visitors from the United States in May 2011. Once the most popular social network, seven-year-old MySpace has fallen behind younger and nimbler rival Facebook and now is situated on the 5th place in the top.
With a rapid grow the next on the list in LinkedIn with 17,78 million unique visitors from the United States in May 2011, mostly by users with post graduate degree. It was launched in 2003 and it reached one milion users on September 2004, operates in over 200 countries and over 52% LinkedIn users are located outside the U.S.
- Nielsen (2011), Social Media Report: Q3 2011
- The Businessinider (2011), Facebook number one
- Expertviwwnow (2011), Top 10 most visited websites in the world
- MarketingGum (2011), Twitter statistics 2011
- Slideshare (2011), LinkedIn demographics and statistics 2011
Photo source: Karlmac