Michele McKenzie’s Presentation, Dubai, 2014
In the context of strategy execution at the Strategy Leaders Forum, Michele McKenzie, the Former President and CEO of the Canadian Tourism Council, Canada held a presentation about “Improving tourism revenue, customer satisfaction and global competitiveness through implementing the Balanced Scorecard at the Canadian Tourism Commission”.
In the process of strategy formulation and execution, the federal audit noted two deficiencies of the Canadian Tourism Commission:
- Incapacity of linking activities to strategy;
- Inability to delineate the results from that of the industry.
In regards to the later one, the first steps were in the direction of defining organizational purpose, communicating the strategy, mobilizing efforts, cascading and integrating strategy into personal performance management system.
The implementation challenges they confronted were in terms of:
- Executive leadership buy-in;
- Organizational culture;
- Personal accountability;
- Fit of strategy management;
The most important lesson learned during strategy implementation was that there are no shortcuts and the use of a strategy map helps the process. Besides the mentioned challenges, Michele McKenzie also emphasized the leadership skills development. Through this process she learned the importance of being people-oriented and earning confidence in the team.
Source: Michele McKenzie, Strategy Leaders Forum, 2014.
- McKenzie, M. (2014, April). Improving tourism revenue, customer satisfaction and global competitiveness through implementing the Balanced Scorecard at the Canadian Tourism Commission’ Presentation conducted at the Strategy Leaders Forum, Dubai, UAE.