KPI of the Day – Healthcare: # Anesthesia Cases
Measures the average number of anesthesia cases per day in the hospital.
To reflect the workload in terms of anesthesia cases, as an important aspect of operating room management.
Hospital performance is entirely dependent upon the way operating rooms are managed. Apart from anesthesia management, other management aspects include:
– Comprehensive electronic health record (EHR);
– Operating room (OR) instrument management system;
– Supply and financial management;
– Perioperative charting;
– Surgical scheduling;
– Tissue/device implant management;
– Surgical tray and instrument management.
The experience and expertise of the anesthetist play a vital role for the patient’s safety condition during surgical intervention. The main risk associated with anesthesia interventions concerns the amount of anesthetic administered. Apart from this, it is just as important to adjust post anesthesia care unit nurse staffing around the times of operating room admissions.
Here are a few other tips on improving and monitoring the anesthesia process:
- Document relevant aspects concerning directives that limit treatment (e.g. DNR);
- Establish a liaison with procedural, surgical, and nursing services for presentation and procedural application of anesthesia guidelines;
- Properly manage perioperative pain, as well as nonsurgical pain;
- Set standards and policies for the administration of sedation and anesthesia.
If you are interested in finding out more about the most relevant Healthcare related KPIs, the smartKPIs.com subscription provides access to +500 KPI examples. What is more, our dedicated Library contains relevant resources to improve your KPI practices, and if you want to further improve your knowledge, feel free to explore our Top 25 Healthcare KPIs – 2016 Extended Edition report.