Balanced Scorecard & Strategy Summit 2013 – Day 1 – Session 8 (Government stream)
A Project Manager of The Executive Council in Dubai presented some of the changes, practices and achievements of The Dubai Government in regards to strategy execution.
Some of the ideas discussed were:
- The Dubai Government has switched towards a strategy driven entity
- In 2005, all government entities participated in developing the Strategic Plan 2015, which is the cornerstone for putting Dubai’s strategy into action
- Governance system was modified to ensure proper implementation – including a sector committee, sector strategies and support teams
- They cascade objectives through an IT solutions and report back at the same time; reporting takes place bi-annually and The Executive Council reviews items that are identified as critical for the government’s strategy; three different processes are integrated for this purpose:
– Report development – Strategic Review – Performance Communicated to Strategy Execution
- As achievements, five new government entities were launched and a series of cross-functional teams were put in place; the government’s efforts in regards to strategy will continue to focus on alignment & integration, capability building and risk management
- When certain KPI tap into more than one sector, they leverage support teams put in place specifically for this purpose; for instance, after trying to assign a KPI that referred to three different sector, they noticed that this approach did not work so they formed a permanent team (named as KPI owner) to encourage the reporting and communication between those three sectors.