Building Strategic Capabilities: Joe Chalouhi, Dubai, 2014
In the context of strategy selection, Joe Chalouhi, HR Director MENA in GE Middle East, has delivered a presentation about ‘Identifying, recruiting and retaining key capabilities and embedding a performance culture to deliver strategic aspirations’.
The presentation was built around the following aspects:
- How to develop strategic capabilities and embed a performance culture to deliver strategic aspirations;
- What is the equation for building strategic capabilities;
- Growth values and leadership philosophy in GE.
Joe Chalouhi mentions two lessons learned, in terms of business strategic aspirations, namely: taking risks and pushing yourself out of the comfort zone, and being flexible as well as adaptable. As for GE, the organizational imperatives for strategic capabilities are:
- Focusing on organizational strategy;
- Aligning resources to key initiatives;
- Reporting the progress.
The mentioned strategic capabilities require a clear leadership philosophy, along with talent management/succession planning as a business competitive advantage. They also entail reviewing the talent management cycle and leveraging talent management to create succession plans.
Source: Joe Chalouhi, Strategy Leaders Forum, Dubai, 2014.For the company, growth values are a pointer on how to perform, and they are present at every level of the company. The values that GE endorses, and which the company guides itself by, are: external focus, clear thinker, imagination and courage, inclusiveness, expertise. In terms of leadership philosophy, Joe Chalouhi mentions that at GE, leaders inspire others to be their best, which represents the foundation of the commitment to leadership development. Image source:
- Chalouhi, J., (2014, April), Identifying, recruiting and retaining key capabilities and embedding a performance culture to deliver strategic aspirations. Presentation conducted at the Strategy Leaders Forum, Dubai, UAE.