On sustainable excellence with Rick Edgeman, at the PMA 2014 Conference
Another presentation delivered by Rick Edgeman, Professor of Sustainability & Performance at the Interdisciplinary Center for Organizational Architecture (ICOA), Aarhus University of Denmark in the second day of the PMA 2014 Conference was named “Survive & Thrive: Sustainable Enterprise Excellence, Resilience and Robustness SEER2”.
The first of element that the Professor approached is Sustainable Enterprise Excellence (SEE), which he regards as connected to international quality awards (America’s Baldrige National Quality Award, or the European Quality Award).
According to Rick Edgeman, SEER2 comes from completing SEE with resilience and robustness, while accepting that they are not wholly congruent. A company is considered to fulfill the SEER2 principles when it is:
- Sustainable: it creates and maintains economic, ecological and social value both for itself and its stakeholders;
- Resilient: it self-renews through innovation;
- Robust: resistant to shocks;
- Excellent with its governance, leadership and strategy.
Another element that Professor Rock Edgeman finds very important in SEER2 is innovation. It becomes an enabler upon which enterprise ambition and motivation regarding SEER2 depends on.
Some of the steps that he recommends when defining and embracing SEER2 are:
- Developing a relevant model
- Identifying key performance indicators
- Identifying a reporting mechanism