Performance Management in the GCC: Mohammed S. Hyder
The KPI Institute’s Performance Management in 2014: GCC Special Edition report followed one of our most important editorial rules, namely the triangulation of opinions gathered from practitioners, academics and consultants alike. In 2014, Mohammed S. Hyder, Executive Manager – Decision Support & Performance Management at Etihad Etisalat Mobily, Saudi Arabia, was one of the practitioners who offered us rich performance related insights.
“I have developed a couple of personal KPIs and I keep track of my performance. It really helps me excel in all aspects of my life and gives me a heads up on information for better decision making.”
- What does the term Performance Management mean to you?
Performance Management basically means managing performance of an employee, or a function, by constantly monitoring the pre-assigned KPIs, and providing timely reports. It gives insight into the actual contributions of employees in the corporate achievements. It is a tool that helps in enhancing productivity and efficiency.
- What drives interest in Performance Management?
Results and rewards.
- What are your thoughts on the relationship between Performance Management at organizational, departmental and individual level?
Performance management at organizational level is a broader scope, looking at a holistic picture, focusing on the organizational achievements. At Departmental level, it is very specific to the departmental performance, yet still aligned with the corporate strategy. It acts as a tool to align the individual performance with the departmental objectives. At individual level, it is purely focused on the performance of the individual and enhancing the competencies to meet the overall objectives of the department.
- What are the 2014 key trends in Performance Management from your point of view?
Personal Scorecards, new appraisal model, helping managers establish a better coaching mechanism.
- What aspects of Performance Management should be explored more through research?
Individual contributions in the organizational achievements.
- Which companies would you recommend to be looked at, due to their particular approach to Performance Management and subsequent results?
Within the region we have Mobily as an excellent example of implementing Performance Management.
Intel is another good example to look at on the international arena.
- Which are the main challenges in today’s Performance Management practice?
Buy-in of top management, educating and creating a culture for implementing PM.
- What do you think should be improved in the use of Performance Management tools and processes?
Feedback and reporting of results should be constant ongoing processes. We should not wait for the end of period to report performance results.
- What would you consider best practices in Performance Management?
Expectation is described at the start of the evaluation process (performance contract). Targets are SMART.
- Which aspects of Performance Management should be emphasized during educational programs?
The importance of measuring performance. Setting the right KPIs, targets and assigning appropriate weights to each KPI is also very important.
- Which are the limits in order to achieve higher levels of proficiency in Performance Management among practitioners?
Lack of proper tools and lack of awareness in top management
- If you are to name, in a few words, the main aspects governing Performance Management today, what would they be?
Review and evaluation of the Top Level Management.
- What is your opinion on the emerging trend of measuring performance outside working hours?
It is the complete package that really matters when looking at an extra ordinary talent. Employees spend 2/3 of their time outside of working hours therefore, it is important to measure the overall performance and not just within the working hours. Furthermore, for the sake of better brand representation, it is important that performance is maintained constantly.
- Are you using any kind of personal performance measurement tools? If yes, please describe how this has influenced your life.
I have developed a couple of personal KPIs and I keep track of my performance. It really helps me excel in all aspects of my life and gives me a heads up on information for better decision making.
- Do you have any tips for successfully managing one’s work-life balance? What are your thoughts?
Make sure that you develop the right KPIs and set the most optimum targets, otherwise you can ruin your own work-life balance easily.
- Which are the recent achievements in generating value as result of Performance Management put in practice in your organization?
Better CSI results, motivated employees and good insight into employee’s role in corporate performance.
For more interviews with specialists in the field, peruse through our report Performance Management in 2014: GCC Special Edition! Should you be interested in having your interview featured in one of our publications, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!